The Right Use of Energy
Continuation from section Astral Energy and Fear.
In considering the overcoming of wrong vibration and the right direction of astral energy it might be of value here if we were very briefly to list the major energies which impress the human organism and circulate through the sentient body of man.
1. Energies passing and repassing through the sentient body of the planet itself. This is, in other words, the astral body of the spirit of the earth. This entity is not the planetary Logos, but a being of great power on the involutionary arc, who holds the same relation to the planetary Logos as the astral elemental does to the human being. Facts about this life will be found in the Treatise on Cosmic Fire. Its life is the aggregate of a vast number of lives, and those lunar pitris or lesser builders who constitute the sentient life of the personality aspect of the planetary Logos – a more potent force for good and also for evil, as we use the word “evil”. Evil, per se, is non-existent, as is good in the sense of the pairs of opposites. Only in time and in space are there varying states of consciousness, producing differing outer effects. The energy of this involutionary life has a potent effect on that other tiny involutionary life which constitutes our astral elemental. The fact that protects from complete sensitive identification with this greater life is man’s individuality and the potency of his rapidly coordinating personality.
Man is an individual. He is the result of other factors and the combination of these factors constitutes his protection from complete absorption in the planetary sentient life, as is the case with the animals. At death, man’s astral body disintegrates and then its particles again constitute undifferentiated fragments of the great whole.
2. Certain astral energies, emanating from some planetary forms which as yet exist not in the form of physical planets, nor yet in the etheric realm, but which are enclosed within the ring-pass-not of our solar system. They represent, in the planetary sense, two groups of lives: – First, those astral shells of decaying and disintegrating planets which are to be seen by the initiate, still revolving around our sun, but which are nevertheless fast disappearing. Our moon will join their number when the complete disintegration of the outer form has taken place. Second, the astral forms of those lesser solar lives on the evolutionary arc who are taking form slowly but have not yet taken an etheric body, and will never in this world period take a physical body. These two groups are the planetary correspondences to the reincarnating types of men, and to those who have passed over and are slowly shedding their bodies, prior to eventual rebirth, or who have completely vacated their shells.
There are two of these astral forms in close proximity to our Earth, which are rapidly “decomposing”, if I may so term it, and yet have a very potent influence. On account of this close relation, they produce two types of desire or of astral tendency among men. One produces much of that instinctual tendency to cruelty which one sees in children and in certain types of men, and the other has an effect upon the sex life and produces some of those tendencies to perversions which cause so much difficulty now. Sadistic tendencies and sex perversions find much strengthening influence from these dying astral emanations. In ancient days they were still more potent, being closer to our earth than now; hence the ritualistic cruelties and the horrors, for instance, of Sodom and Gomorrah. Their power is rapidly declining and it should be remembered that they would have no power at all were there not in humanity itself certain instincts upon which these energies can work. It should also be remembered that in Lemurian times their influence was constructive, for in those days, the lesson of sex and the intelligent registering of pain had a place in the schemes of those who were endeavoring to lead animal man into human consciousness – not into soul consciousness or even into self-consciousness in those very early times.
Close to our earth, on the road to rebirth, is a great Life in process of taking etheric form. This Life, being on the evolutionary arc and not constituting the life of a decaying shell, is having a real effect in the inauguration of the New Age. This effect is twofold: – through the emanations from the astral body of this great Life the work of breaking down the separate wall of individualism which demonstrates in man as selfishness and in nations as nationalism is carried forward. Through this rapidly integrating etheric body this Life is bringing the etheric body of our planet into a state of increased rapid vibration. Reference will be found in the Treatise on Cosmic Fire to an avatar from Sirius who comes to bring about certain planetary effects. This Life is not that avatar but is in the nature of a forerunner – of a St. John the Baptist, who “baptiseth with water (astral emanations) and the Holy Ghost”. More information along these lines is not possible, but mention is made of it, as the energies coming from these two factors must be borne in mind.
3. Astral energies emanating from the new sign of the zodiac into which we are now entering, the sign Aquarius. This sign, that of the water-carrier, is a living sign and an emotional sign. It will (through the effect of its potent force) stimulate the astral bodies of men into a new coherency, into a brotherhood of humanity which will ignore all racial and national differences and will carry the life of men forward into synthesis and unity. This means a tide of unifying life of such power that one cannot now vision it, but which – in a thousand years – will have welded all mankind into a perfect brotherhood. Its emotional effect will be to “purify” the astral bodies of men so that the material world ceases to hold such potent allure, and may in its later stages bring about a state of exaggeration as potent in the line of sentiency as that which we have undergone in the line of materiality! The final stages of all signs produce over-development of the factor on which they most potently work. At present the effect of this sign is constructive among the pioneers of the race, and destructive among the rank and file of humanity. Facts about the coming Aquarian age can be searched for in the current books on the subject and it profits not for me to enlarge upon them here.
4. Faint emanations from the sacred “heart of the sun”, unrecognized by the masses but instantly calling forth response from the mystics of the race who are asserting increasingly a group integrity of a very real moment and interest. These emanations are too high to be sensed by humanity at large, but the mystics react and are drawn together by the sensing of the new vibration. Their work is then to step down the vibration so that its effects can be sensed in time by the foremost of the race. The work of this group of mystics must therefore inevitably grow, for the “heart of the solar Logos” beats now in closer rhythm with this planet than has heretofore been the case (this not being a sacred planet.) The love and thought of that divine Life is turned towards this “little daughter of a long lost son”, as our planet is sometimes called in the occult books of the Great Ones.
5. Another mass emanation which sweeps the astral body of man into strenuous activity is the impulsive desire of the astral body of the fourth or human kingdom, viewing it as a whole, or as the expression of a life. This sentient body of humanity responds in an unrealized manner to all the four above types of astral energy and according to the caliber of the individual astral body, and according to the stage of development so will come response. It is in this fact that the roots of mass psychology and of mob rule lie. Also the roots of public opinion, so-called, are to be found here, but it will be long before the psychologists of the academic schools will recognize these four factors. It is with this type of sentient response that the leaders of men seek to work, molding the thoughts of men in order to awaken desire for this, that and the other. They work with this type of sentient matter without the least understanding of the situation, and without any comprehension of the factors with which they are dealing; they work magnetically if on the second ray, and with the inspiring of fear through destruction if on the first ray. If on the third ray, they use the Law of Expediency. Thus all three work with the astral bodies of men, and their capacity to succeed is dependent largely upon their own type of astral body, and its power to attract others who are sufficiently developed to respond with adequate sentiency and then to carry forward the good work. The man in the street is therefore the victim of the astral potency of those who drive him either for their own ends or for the good of his soul – for it works in both directions.
Part 2 of 2 here.