Part 1 here.
There is still another way in which we can look at the entire subject of response between broadcasting areas of consciousness and the receiving areas of consciousness. We might list the divisions of this process. Much must remain theoretical, and little can, as yet, be worked out in practice. However, let me list the various forms of telepathic work for your general instruction:
- Telepathic work from solar plexus to solar plexus. With this we have already dealt. This is closely connected with feeling, and little or no thought is involved; it concerns emotions (fear, hate, disgust, love, desire and many other purely astral reactions). It is carried on instinctively and below the diaphragm.
- Telepathic work from mind to mind. This is beginning to be possible, and many more people are capable of this kind of communication than is now realized. People today do not know whence various mental impressions come, and this greatly enhances the complexity of life at this time and increases the mental problem of thousands.
- Telepathic work from heart to heart. This type of impression is the sublimation of the “feeling” response registered earlier upon the ladder of evolution in the solar plexus. It concerns only group impressions, and is the basis of the condition spoken of in the Bible in connection with the greatest Sensitive humanity has ever produced, the Christ. There He is referred to as “A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief,” but in this condition no personal sorrow or grief is involved. It is simply the consciousness of the sorrow of the world and the weight of grief under which humanity struggles. “The fellowship of Christ’s suffering” is the reaction of the disciple to the same world condition. This is the true “broken heart,” and is as yet a very rare thing to find. The usual broken heart is literally a disrupted solar plexus center, bringing complete demolition of what is occultly called “the center of feeling,” and consequently the wrecking of the nervous system. It is really brought about by a failure to handle conditions as a soul.
- Telepathic work from soul to soul. This is, for humanity, the highest possible type of work. When a man can begin, as a soul, to respond to other souls and their impacts and impressions, then he is rapidly becoming ready for the processes which lead to initiation.
There are two other groups of telepathic possibilities which I would like to list for you. They are possibilities only when the four above mentioned groups of telepathic impression are beginning to form a conscious part of the disciple’s experience.
- Telepathic work between soul and mind. This is the technique whereby the mind is “held steady in the light,” and then becomes aware of the content of the soul’s consciousness, an innate content, or that which is part of the group life of the soul on its own level, and when in telepathic communication with other souls, as mentioned under our fourth heading. This is the true meaning of intuitional telepathy. Through this means of communication the mind of the disciple is fertilized with the new and spiritual ideas; he becomes aware of the great Plan; his intuition is awakened. One point should here be borne in mind, which is oft forgotten: The inflow of the new ideas from the buddhic levels, thus awakening the intuitional aspect of the disciple, indicates that his soul is beginning to integrate consciously and definitely with the Spiritual Triad, and therefore to identify itself less and less with the lower reflection, the personality. This mental sensitivity and rapport between soul and mind remain for a long time relatively inchoate on the mental plane. That which is sensed remains too vague or too abstract for formulation. It is the stage of the mystical vision and of mystical unfoldment.
- Telepathic work between soul, mind and brain. In this stage the mind still remains the recipient of impression from the soul but, in its turn, it becomes a “transmitting agent” or communicator. The impressions received from the soul, and the intuitions registered as coming from the Spiritual Triad, via the soul, are now formulated into thoughts; the vague ideas and the vision hitherto unexpressed can now be clothed in form and sent out as embodied thought-forms to the brain of the disciple. In time, and as the result of technical training, the disciple can in this way reach the mind and brains of other disciples. This is an exceedingly interesting stage. It constitutes one of the major rewards of right meditation and involves much true responsibility. You will find more anent this stage of telepathy in my other books, particularly A Treatise on White Magic. (Pages 176-180, 415, 427-428, 477-478.)
This much that I have outlined here is practically all that concerns man in his own inner individual contacts and work and training. There is, however, a whole range of telepathic contacts which should be noted because they constitute the goal for humanity.
- Telepathic work between a Master (the focal point of a group) and the disciple in the world. It is an occult truth that no man is really admitted into a Master’s group, as an accepted disciple, until he has become spiritually impressionable and can function as a mind in collaboration with his own soul. Prior to that he cannot be a conscious part of a functioning group on the inner planes gathered around a personalized force, the Master; he cannot work in true rapport with his fellow disciples. But when he can work somewhat as a conscious soul, then the Master can begin to impress him with group ideas via his own soul. He hovers then for quite a while upon the periphery of the group. Eventually, as his spiritual sensitivity increases, he can be definitely impressed by the Master and taught the technique of contact. Later, the group of disciples, functioning as one synthetic thought-form, can reach him and thus automatically he becomes one of them. To those who have the true esoteric sense, the above paragraph will convey a good deal of information, hitherto hidden.
- Telepathic work between a Master and His group. This is the mode of work whereby a Master trains and works through His disciples. He impresses them simultaneously with an idea or an aspect of truth. By watching their reactions, He can gauge the united activity of the group and the simultaneity of their response.
- Telepathic work between subjective and objective groups. I do not refer here to the contact between an inner group of disciples, functioning consciously on the subjective levels, and the outer form that group takes. I refer to an inner group and a different outer group or groups. These groups, on both levels, can be either good or bad, according to the quality or caliber of the group personnel and their motives, This opens up a wide range of contacts and is one of the ways in which the Hierarchy of Masters work, as individuals. It is, however, not possible for groups upon the outer plane to respond to this type of contact until the bulk of their members have the heart center awakened. In this connection a most interesting point should be noted. The awakening of the heart center indicates inclusiveness, group appreciation and contact, also group thought and group life-activity. Unless, however, the head center is also awakened and active, the soul is not able to control, and this heart activity need not necessarily be what we call good or spiritual activity. It is quite impersonal, like the sun, of which the heart is, as you know, the symbol. It shines alike upon the good and the bad; and group activity, as a result of heart awakening, can include the bad groups as well as the good groups. Therefore you can see the necessity of awakening the head center and bringing in the control of the soul aspect; and hence the emphasis laid upon character building and the need for meditation.
- Telepathic work between the Hierarchy of Masters as a group or a part of the Hierarchy, and groups of disciples. There is little I can tell you about this, and you would not and could not understand. The experiment we are now making, in connection with the New Group of World Servers, is related to this form of telepathic work.
Some of these forms of telepathic work have necessarily their distorted reflections on the physical plane. These you might like to ponder upon, and trace the correspondences between them. What is “mass psychology” with its unreasoning quality and its blind activity, but a massed reaction to solar plexus impressions as passed from group to group? What is “public opinion,” so called, but vague mental reactions by the mass of men beginning to grope their way on the mental plane, to the activity and play of more active and powerful minds? The written and spoken words are not in themselves adequate to account for the display of modern opinion as we now have it. What is the apparently accurate information, so rapidly circulated among the savage races, but an expression of that instinctual telepathy which uses the vital body and the pranic fluids as its medium?